St. Peters woman who forged college loan documents in her daughters’ names to support a gambling habit was sentenced Monday to five years in prison. Cynthia M. Tiemann pleaded guilty in September on seven counts of felony forgery. She admitted taking out loans for nearly $140,000, pretending they were for her two daughters. Tiemann also forged her mother’s name as a co-signer. Tiemann’s mother, Jean Terneus, 72, attended Monday’s sentencing in Circuit Court in St. Charles. She said her daughter is a good person whose gambling addiction led her astray. “It’s a disease, and it’s worse than drugs or alcohol,” Terneus said.
An assistant bank manager who stole nearly £90,000 from elderly customer’s accounts to pay off gambling debts has been jailed for 12 months. Manager Cathy Otero, 57, of The Parks, Portslade, was jailed for 27 months in June last year for stealing £259,000 from customers. A third colleague, cashier Ruth Dale, 49, of Cecil Road, Lancing, was given a suspended prison by magistrates last year after she admitted stealing £11,300. Harvey, of Rudyard Close, Woodingdean, who has no previous convictions, admitted 13 charges of theft.
According to an article published yesterday by Thailand’s Pattaya People Weekly newspaper, a woman by the name of Chalitaoon was arrested by Huay Yai police on the evening of Tuesday January 26 under suspicion of having stolen a car. The 41-year-old woman was detained from a room she had rented at Kredkaew Village in Bang Saray. Chalitaoon allegedly befriended the male owner of the car, only then to drug him and steal his vehicle. The woman intended to sell the car, and to use the money to feed her habit of gambling at online casinos in Thailand.
A mountain of gambling debt led the former city clerk of Lincoln to steal more than $46,500 in taxpayer funds over the course of two years. On Monday, Melanie Riggs was sentenced to three months in a federal prison in connection with the theft, which took place in 2007 and 2008. Riggs, 49, also will serve five months of home confinement and repay the money she stole under terms of a sentence handed down by U.S. District Judge Jeanne Scott.
A New Orleans mother was arrested for allegedly abandoning her nine- year-old child outside Harrah’s downtown casino Sunday, State Police said. The child was found sitting outside the casino Sunday just before 4 p.m. Troopers assigned to the State Police casino unit said the boy told them his mother left him outside while she went inside to gamble. Troopers identified the mother as Yvette Lindsey, 41, of New Orleans. She was located inside the casino, arrested and booked with child desertion and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile. Troopers determined that the child was left alone outside of the casino for approximately 30 minutes. He is now in the custody of his father.
A former Somerset County school construction manager allegedly tried to pay his gambling debts by embezzling $2.1 million from the Bernards Township School District, authorities said today. The former on-site construction manager for the school district, Robert E. Titus Jr., 52, of Jackson, who was employed by Aramark Corp. but worked in an office at Ridge High School, was arrested today along with three other men. The four were charged in connection with a scheme that for 5 1/2 years overbilled the affluent school district for boiler replacements, concrete work, door replacements and other general maintenance jobs, authorities said.
Authorities say a former public defender printed $1 million in bogus payroll checks so he could gamble at casinos from Florida to California, sometimes using Web site logos to make the checks appear legitimate. Lt. Ed Baswell, a spokesman for the Bossier Parish Sheriff in Louisiana, says 47-year-old Charles Bradford was in jail Wednesday on $90,500 bond. Baswell says Bradford is wanted in Arkansas, California, Florida, Kansas and Ohio, and may have run the alleged scheme in other states.
Prosecutors say a former manager of Bellevue police dispatchers stole tens of thousands of dollars set aside for Bellevue’s Police Benevolent Association. Friends and co-worker describe Pamela Rae Heide as likable and trustworthy. That is why so many people are surprised to learn she is charged with stealing more than $80,000 from the fund. The fund was established in 2000 to help fallen or injured officers. Some of the money was sent to the families of the four Lakewood officers who were recently killed. According to charging papers, Heide confessed to using 70 percent of the stolen money on casino gambling and the other 30 percent on bills.