In a grisly incident, five members of a family attempted suicide by consuming rat poison at their house in Kamareddy on Friday. While two kids died, other three family members are in a critical condition. According to police, Ramagiri Raju who was living with his wife and three children was addicted to gambling. In the process, he kept borrowing money to win bets and ended up in a sea of debts. His friends, who were sympathetic towards him, gave him some money to clear his debts. However, his happiness did not last long as they began harassing Raju and his family members. On Friday, Raju’s friends allegedly abused his wife. In the meantime, Raju along with his wife Sangeetha, two daughters and a son consumed rat poison.
The 31 year old co-founder of Absolute Poker, Brent Beckley has become the first online poker executive among the eleven who were indicted in April this year in the United States, to plead guilty to charges brought against him. Beckley reportedly reached a plea deal with the US Department of Justice, which could see him sitting behind bars for up to a year and a half on charges relating to conspiracy to commit bank and wire fraud, as well as breaking online gambling laws in the US.
A hearing in Manhattan earlier this week saw Beckley admitting that he knew what he was doing was wrong, and he was aware that he was breaking online gambling laws relating to the poker industry. He said that he had received credit card payments from real money US poker players who sought to play poker at Absolute Poker, and he admitted to alternating records so that the money he received appeared to be earmarked for other purposes.
The Petah Tikva District Court sentenced Damian Karlik to six life sentences on Tuesday after he was convicted of murdering six members of the Osherenko family in Rishon Letzion two years ago. In 2009, 32-year-old Dmitry Osherenko, his 28-year-old wife Tatiana, and their children Revital, 3, and Netanel, aged four months, were found dead in their Rishon Letzion apartment along with grandparents, Edward and Ludmilla, both 56. Five of the six victims had sustained stab wounds. Last month, the Petah Tikva District Court convicted Karlik of murdering the Osherenko family. Karlik was also convicted of conspiracy to murder, theft, and arson. Karlik, whom the police say is a compulsive gambler, spent huge amounts of money at gambling venues and allegedly began to plan his revenge on Osherenko four months before the murder took place with his wife Natalya, who was convicted of manslaughter and was sentenced to 13 years in prison in a plea bargain.
A Conway Township man turned himself in Tuesday to face charges he embezzled from his employer more than $700,000, some of which authorities allege he spent on gambling at the MGM Grand Detroit casino. Ralph Edward Staelgraeve, 45, the former director of Michigan operations for Pasta Per Trio Inc., which operated out of Staelgraeve’s home on Sober Road, was arraigned Tuesday. He is free on a $100,000 personal bond and returns to District Court on Jan. 3 for an exam conference before Judge Carol Sue Reader. Former MGM host Lee Sadek, 37, of West Bloomfield also faces the same charge. He is free on a $100,000 bond, and he returns to District Court today for an exam conference. The investigation led by Sgt. Gary Childers of the Livingston County Sheriff’s Department began in December 2009, when an employee of the Wisconsin-based Pasta Per Trio contacted the department regarding the misuse of funds. Company officials believe Staelgraeve stole nearly $1 million, but they can only prove he stole more than $700,000, Childers said.
The Marina Bay Sands (MBS) in Singapore is suing five of the casino’s exclusive Paiza Cub members for S$7.5 million (US$5.78 million) over alleged outstanding gambling debts. The case has been filed in the High Court, against the five high-rollers consisting of two Malaysians, a Chinese man, an Indonesian and a Japanese man. Takami Shinichi from Japan, who is based in Singapore, allegedly owes S$2 million, Chinese national Zhang Dechun owes s$1.94 million, Indonesian Husni Muchtar owes s$920,500, while Malaysia’s Por Boon Chuan and Chock Kok Sui owe s$518,436 and s$1.9 million respectively. According to The Straits Times (ST) news report, the premium players’ banks failed to honour the credit guarantee cheques, which were signed by the men.
A fugitive who allegedly helped run a mob-influenced gambling operation in Costa Rica is back in New Jersey.State Attorney General Paula Dow says Frank Cetta was arrested in Costa Rica on Dec. 5. He’s being held in New Jersey on $350,000 bail and will be arraigned next week. It’s not known if he’s retained a lawyer. Cetta was indicted in May 2010, along with nearly three dozen others, for allegedly running an illegal gambling operation that processed more than $2 billion in wagers over a 15-month period. Cetta allegedly supervised a wire room in Costa Rica where bets were processed. Also indicted was Nicodemo Scarfo Jr., whose father, Nicodemo “Little Nicky” Scarfo, is serving a life term for running the Philadelphia-Atlantic City mob in the 1980s.
A former federal employee and a financial appointee who conspired to embezzle nearly $900,000 from disabled military veterans’ accounts have been sentenced to three years in federal prison. Jack Perry, 75, and Robert Tabbutt, 67, both of Memphis, diverted the money from 10 accounts and spent it on personal bills and gambling at Tunica casinos, authorities said. Perry was appointed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to manage financial affairs of the beneficiaries, while Tabbutt was a VA Field Examiner whose job was to review the performances of appointed fiduciaries in Tennessee, including Perry. The two men conspired to divert money from the accounts for their personal use, authorities said. The total amount taken in the scheme between July 1999 and October of 2008 was $896,239.43, records show.
Upset over wife’s refusal to give money for gambling, a middle aged man poured kerosene on himself and committed suicide in the city. The incident took place at Indira Sahayata Nagar under the Gautam Nagar police station. The police said deceased Rashid Khan, 30, was a scrap dealer. The two would often fight over his habit of gambling. on December 25, when Rashid lost Rs 1,000 in gambling, he returned home and asked his wife Mobina to give him money to recover losses. However, Mobina refused to give him money and it led to an argument between the two. The two went to sleep. After getting up in the morning, Rashid got into scrape with his wife for money. He asked her to leave the house when Mobina expressed helplessness to give him money, the police said. He then closed the door poured kerosene and set hemself on fire.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION