The owner of a Riverside business who stole about $270,000 from the pension fund for 58 employees was sentenced this month to five years in prison. Teresa De Mint, 52, was convicted March 14 of seven counts of embezzlement from an employee pension fund. At De Mint’s sentencing June 2 in U.S. District Court in Riverside, Judge Virginia A. Phillips also sentenced De Mint to three years of supervised release and ordered her to pay $281,622.87 in restitution. She must surrender to be incarcerated by July 21. Friends and relatives who wrote letters to the court pleading for leniency for De Mint said she grew up in an abusive household and had gambling and addiction problems at some point.
A Las Vegas casino worker found dead in her bloody apartment had her wrists tied behind her back and was beaten to death with some kind of an object, police said in a report made public Monday. The couple divorced in February, about a month after police were called to a domestic violence and child abuse call involving Marvin Moran at another address, according to a police arrest report. Marvin Moran, 36, an El Salvador immigrant, was arrested Friday after he was stopped while driving a Toyota Corolla owned by his ex-wife. He was held without bail at the Clark County jail pending an appearance Wednesday in Las Vegas Justice Court. Two Moran children, ages 13 and 11, told investigators that their unemployed father had a gambling problem and spent family money in casinos.
The former office manager of the Garrett Hardware stores in Windsor and Healdsburg delayed entering a plea on Monday afternoon in Sonoma County Superior Court to embezzling more than $300,000 from the two stores. Glynis Susan Lewis, 44, was arrested at her Santa Rosa home Thursday and was arraigned Monday for grand theft, three counts of possession of stolen property and one count of money laundering. The complaint alleges she took more than $150,000 from daily cash deposits at the two stores between 2006 and November 2012. Raasch said Lewis had a gambling problem and skimmed some of the daily cash receipts.
A Southern California man has been convicted of killing his wife, whose body was left at a casino. Jurors deliberated just two hours Wednesday before convicting Tomas (Toh-MAHS’) Rodriguez Infante of first-degree murder. Infante, who’s 62, faces a possible sentence of 25 years to life. Prosecutors say Infante stabbed and beat his wife, Charita Tolentino, at their West Covina home in January of last year, then left her body in the trunk of her car in the Hawaiian Gardens Casino parking lot. Authorities say Infante’s wife vanished a day after Infante’s lover broke off their affair after learning he was married. Infante’s son testified at trial that his father had confessed to the killing.
A second person has pleaded guilty to embezzling millions of dollars from the Plano Independent School District, federal officials said Tuesday. Carol Ann LaRue, 68, of Prosper owned and operated two companies that she said were in the business of maintaining fire safety and security systems. Investigators say that she and Kris Wilson Gentz, 59, a Plano ISD employee, worked together to submit invoices for work that was never done and products never provided between May 2011 and December 2013. When the district paid the invoices, LaRue and Gentz split the money. It the time, Bales said that most of the money Gentz stole had probably been gambled away at casinos in Shreveport, La., and elsewhere. Gentz and LaRue await sentencing. Both face up to five years in federal prison. “These defendants not only cheated the taxpayers in Plano ISD, they robbed the children,” Bales said in a written statement.
Two Atlantic City casinos have been fined a total of $66,000, with the bulk of the fines levied against Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City for letting underage patrons gamble and drink. Harrah’s was fined $60,000 by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement for five incidents involving patrons ranging in age from 18 to 20. The minimum age for gambling and drinking in New Jersey is 21. In one instance, Harrah’s let a 20-year-old from New York play blackjack even after a security guard checked his ID. In another incident, Harrah’s allowed an 18-year-old from New York to gamble and drink for nine hours, during which he interacted with 12 different dealers and five supervisors. The patron, identified only as “LC,” also was given eight bottles of beer by four different servers. It was only when he was found unconscious in a Keno parlor that the casino checked for identification, and found that what he had did not belong to him. Paramedics were called and he was taken to a nearby hospital.
A Dartmouth woman was arraigned Wednesday on charges of embezzling more than $600,000 from a trust fund that provides insurance benefits for active and retired Halifax police officers. The offences are alleged to have been committed over a 3½-year period, between November 2009 and June 2013. Last fall, trustees of the fund filed a lawsuit in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in an effort to recover some of the money. The lawsuit alleged that MacDonald forged signatures, set up an unapproved bank account and siphoned off more than $600,000 from the fund. “Unbeknownst to the plaintiffs, the defendant had developed a gambling addiction beginning some time prior to 2010,” the trustees said in the suit.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION