An Illinois man has been found guilty of shooting death of a northwestern Indiana woman whose body was found in parking garage at Gary’s Majestic Star Casino. A Lake Superior Court jury deliberated less than two hours Friday before finding 60-year-old Ralph Martinez of Alsip, Illinois, guilty of murder, murder in the perpetration of a robbery, robbery and criminal confinement in the 2013 death of 76-year-old Mary Austgen of St. John. Prosecutors said Martinez hid for hours in a small bathroom Austgen’s family business in Griffith before tackling her from behind and pulling a gun on her. Martinez faces 45 to 65 years in prison when he is sentenced Sept. 18 by Lake County Judge Diane Boswell
Opening statements were delivered Monday in the trial of a Broward man who allegedly said he “turned evil” when he murdered his wife on Easter Day back in 2010. Robert Oulton, 68, is facing a first-degree murder charge in the April 2010 death of wife Yvonne. Authorities say the body of Yvonne Oulton was found in her car in the 1400 block of Southwest 3rd Street in Pompano Beach. She had been beaten on the head by a blunt object at least 10 times, an arrest affidavit said. Yvonne Oulton had spent the afternoon gambling at the Isle Casino & Racing at Pompano Park and was a regular poker player there. Robert Oulton left a letter for his son, confessing to the murder and explaining what had happened, Broward Sheriff’s officials said.Video was also shown in court that showed the couple going home after dinner on the night of her murder. There is also video of Robert Oulton alone inside the casino. “It clearly contradicts everything that he said, first of all,” Cogen said. “Well, first of all, he says that his wife dropped him off at the casino. I know that’s not true and he says he has to call her numerous times, pick him up at the casino and he would obviously know. It can’t be accurate because she’s dead inside the car.”
Xpressbet, one of the largest U.S.-based online horse racing betting sites, disclosed this week that they were the latest victim of cyber terrorism. The attack occurred Saturday August 22, considered the biggest day of the week for horse racing in the United States. It was also the day of the all-important $1 Million TVG Pacific Classic (gr. I) from Delmar.Xpressbet is the latest company to have experienced a cyber attack over the past month. Most notable of all, hackers broke into the online infidelity website Ashley Madison earlier this month, obtaining private and supposedly “secure” information on some 37 million users. Last year, hackers shut down the Las Vegas Sands individual property and headquarters websites for nearly a week. It was later learned that some credit card information had been exposed to the hackers.
A MAN who stole £800,000 from two pensioners was ordered to repay just £500 yesterday because it was all the money he had. Gary Watts’ defence barrister told a judge at Oxford Crown Court on Monday that his family had sold his car for £500 and would pay it when they were told. Watts, 57, of George Street, Bicester, was jailed for three years in April after he admitted stealing the £800,000 from two Bicester pensioners and then lost it gambling online. Det Con Krista Thompson, from Thames Valley Police Economic Crime Unit, said after the original sentencing: “This was an extreme abuse of the trust placed in him and has caused a great deal of distress to everyone involved.
Caesars Entertainment Corp., which owns and operates dozens of casinos across the Unite States, will pay $20 million to settle allegations that it wasn’t strong enough in trying to prevent money laundering activities at least one of its properties, according to /Reuters/. The company will enter a deferred prosecution agreement with the Department of Justice. There were both criminal and civil components to the allegations against Caesars. Caesars Palace, the company’s flagship property, was accused of not policing its sports book well enough. The anti-money laundering settlement is not connected to a case involving high-stakes poker player Paul Phua, who was charged last year with running an illegal gambling operation out of a villa at Caesars Palace. The Nevada Gaming Control Board is also a party in the settlement, /Reuters/ reported.
A Syracuse man, Charquan Edwards, 23, is facing trial in the attempted murder of an 83-year-old man (unidentified to the media) after losing nearly $10,000 during a high stakes poker game. After leaving on two occasions to go home and retrieve more money, Edwards returned for a third occasion, this time with a gun. He shot twice at the ceiling before the two men began fighting. Prosecutors claim Edwards attempted to murder the old man. Defense attorneys say the gun went off by accident during the struggle. Either way, Edwards appeared on video running from the scene. His victim fully recovered and testified against him. The jury took only a few hours Thursday afternoon to find Edwards guilty of attempted murder as well as robbery. Edwards faces up to 25 years behind bars.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION