Three people died and 15 others were injured after a high-speed vehicle crashed into a group of people outside a high school in Yichun, in Jiangxi province on Tuesday morning. Photo: China Central Television Three Chinese people were killed and 15 others injured on Tuesday morning after a vehicle, reportedly driven by a man trying to commit suicide over gambling debts, crashed at high speed into a crowd of pedestrians and cyclists outside a school, mainland media reports. Most of the dead and injured following the incident at 7.15am in Fengxincounty, in Yichun city, Jiangxi province, were students at the county’s largest high school, China Central Television reported. The residents told the newspaper the man had lost his money while gambling and claimed he tried to commit suicide and had chosen to take revenge on innocent people.
Novak Djokovic, the top-ranked player in men’s tennis, said Monday that a member of his support team was offered $200,000 to have Djokovic throw a match at a 2007 tournament in Russia. Djokovic described the approach after the BBC and Buzzfeed News published reports that tennis authorities have suppressed evidence ofmatch-fixing and overlooked suspected cases involving players ranked in the top 50, including Grand Slam singles and doubles winners. The reports said that none of these players had faced sanctions and more than half would be playing at this year’s Australian Open, which started Monday. The players weren’t identified by name.”I was not approached directly. I was approached through people that were working with me at that time,” Djokovic said of the 2007 incident. “Of course, we (rejected) it right away. It didn’t even get to me — the guy that was trying to talk to me, he didn’t even get to me directly. There was nothing out of it.” Many of those punished have been lower-ranked players on the second-tier Challenger tour. Two of the most higher-profile players — former top-50 players Daniele Bracciali and Potito Starace — were initially banned for life before their suspensions were lifted by the Italian Tennis Federation last year.
AN ACCOUNTANT gambled away more than £850,000 from the company where he was paid to looked after the finances. A court heard Matthew Stevens, 30, abused the trust placed in him by his boss who “treated him like a son” after he took him on as a school leaver and trained him to be a book keeper. “You knew the intimate workings of this business and you must have known the impact of bleeding those bank accounts dry.” Stevens plundered the firm’s accounts over a 13-month period to fund his addiction to online gambling. Leeds Crown Court heard Stevens became a key customer of bookies Betfred during his offending. Stevens plundered £850,000 from the two businesses over a 13 month period before the offending came to light. The sum was lost as a result of Stevens’s addiction to online gambling.
Five Santa Clarita Valley men accused of running an illegal $32 million nationwide sports betting ring with a dozen other people have been formally charged in Queens County, New York, a spokesman for the he Queens County District Attorney’s Office said this week. According to the grand jury indictment, the online gambling enterprise, which is alleged to have booked more than $32 million in bets annually, is also accused of laundering its criminal proceeds by depositing and withdrawing large sums of cash from various banks throughout the United States. The five local men were among 17 suspects across the country indicted Oct. 28 by a Queens County grand jury on charges of unlawfully operating a highly sophisticated sports gambling enterprise that stretched from New York to California and used offshore-based gambling websites.
A local accountant is charged with 953 criminal counts accusing her of embezzling more than $1 million from at least one client’s account over a five-year period, according to criminal complaints filed by the West Virginia State Police. Kimberly Dawn Price, 57, of Huntington, was arraigned Friday on 302 counts of embezzlement, 326 counts of forgery, and 325 counts of uttering at Cabell Count Magistrate Court. Investigators allege Price forged her client’s signature to write numerous checks to herself, wired money transfers, and opened a credit card account between October 2010 and September 2015. The embezzled money was then reportedly spread out over several bank accounts, including those of her son and boyfriend, according to criminal complaints. In the criminal complaint, troopers say they were provided a statement saying Price had “paid off (a) vehicle, went on trips, helped her son start a business, paid off her (son’s) student loans, supported her boyfriend, and supported her gambling habit.”
A South Florida man who admits he was one of three robbers who split $3 million from an “inside job” says he’s very sorry for his crime but he’s done all he can to help the feds find the missing loot. Darryl Peterkine, 39, was sentenced Friday to 15 years and eight months in federal prison for his role in a dramatic heist at the old Garda Logistics armored truck building in Riviera Beach on Sept. 15, 2012. Federal authorities say they have only managed to trace how a small amount of the cash was spent. The men said they bought used cars, purchased a $162,000 home in West Palm Beach, and blew some of it on furniture, gambling, clothes and helping out their associates. Most of the money is just gone.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION