Two North Las Vegas casino employees are dead, including a rampaging man who police said appeared to have had a “chaotic episode” before he was shot by a police officer in an employee-only area of the Silver Nugget casino, police said Thursday. A third employee was hurt when he scuffled with the 30-year-old who then brawled with and killed a 64-year-old co-worker, North Las Vegas police Officer Ann Cavaricci said. None of the men was immediately identified. The age of the injured employee wasn’t immediately made public. Cavaricci said his injuries weren’t life-threatening. Patrol officers tried to use a stun gun “which failed to stop the suspect from attempting to attack them” before an officer shot him a little after 5:45 a.m. Thursday, according to police accounts. “The suspect was described as a person who was having an agitated chaotic episode,” Cavaricci said in a police statement.
Nevada regulators have approved a $2 million fine against Las Vegas Sands Corp. to settle a complaint that the casino company didn’t properly account for millions of dollars paid to a Chinese consultant and received from a high roller. The Nevada Gaming Commission approved a settlement Thursday on a two-count complaint that the Nevada Gaming Control Board unveiled last week against billionaire Sheldon Adelson ‘s company. The Nevada complaint points to a federal Securities and Exchange Commission order from April that found the Sands didn’t properly document several major money transfers to Chinese entities over the last decade.
Nevada gambling regulators have accused one of the state’s largest sports-book operators of a series of violations, including underpaying winners, accepting bets after a match and knowingly withholding information even after authorities warned them two years ago after a record $5.5 million settlement involving a separate case of illegal sports betting. CG Technology was hit with the six-count complaint filed by the Nevada Gaming Control Board earlier this week. The company has 30 days to formally respond to the state. It couldn’t be reached by The Associated Press for comment Wednesday. The state’s Gaming Control Board acts as both the regulators and prosecutors who investigate and file complaints for disciplinary action against gambling-operation license holders. The cases are sent to the Nevada Gaming Commission, whose members serve as the judge and jury in determining action, including license revocation. That’s exactly what the commission threatened in 2014, when it approved a settlement that fined CG Technology $5.5 million, which remains the largest settlement of its kind in state history.
Las Vegas Sands Corp. has agreed to pay more than $75 million to settle a lawsuit by its former top Macau executive, whose allegations prompted federal bribery investigations into the company, according to a person familiar with the matter. The confidential settlement, reached Tuesday, resolves all legal claims brought by Steve Jacobs against the company, its subsidiaries and its controlling shareholder, Republican megadonor Sheldon Adelson , according to a statement from the company’s Macau unit to the Hong Kong stock exchange. The Jacobs settlement involves between $75 million and $100 million, according to the person familiar with the matter. The company’s Hong Kong filing didn’t specify a figure or elaborate on the terms of the deal. The wrongful termination lawsuit brought by Sands’ former Macau chief executive, in which he had alleged the company fired him for objecting to illegal demands from Mr. Adelson, had been set to go to trial in Nevada in September.
KMBC reports that a Missouri Highway Patrol trooper is recovering after he was shot late Friday night outside Harrah’s Casino. The Highway Patrol said a security guard called authorities about 11 p.m. and reported a man acting suspiciously in the parking garage. Troopers assigned to the gaming division arrived and found the man had an active municipal warrant. When they tried to arrest him, the Highway Patrol said the man pulled out a gun. A struggle occurred and the suspect shot a trooper. Another trooper that was on scene returned fire, striking the suspect. The trooper, a 26-year veteran, was in stable condition. The suspect, identified as a 35-year-old Kansas City man, was in serious, but stable condition.
Four defendants have pleaded guilty, in two separate cases, in an Orlando-based cyber crime ring that authorities said provided payment services for illegal offshore gambling websites. The group was responsible for at least $8.5 million in illegal payments, the charges said. Jason Neiman of Costa Rica pleaded guilty May 19 in Orlando federal court to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Earlier this year, three Orlando area men previously pleaded in a related case: Theron Dwight Barron, Christopher Paolini and Eduardo Berdum. The group used shell companies to help offshore gambling websites to process payments from U.S. citizens, according to an indictment. Barron, Paolini and Freeborn used company names like MoneylineWallet.com and e-trustcheck.com. Neiman, Stewart and Freeborn used company names like Web Pay TV, eGoldWallet and DoughFlow, according to the charges. The IRS investigated along with a cyber crime task force of the U.S. Secret Service that included local law enforcement. IRS Special Agent Robert Crockett confirmed the matters are related.
Authorities say they have seized $2 million in cash and arrested 46 people in New Jersey, New York and Florida on sports gambling and other charges. The Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office said Wednesday the arrests came as part of an investigation into a large-scale gambling, racketeering and money-laundering operation. Authorities say Robert “Elvis” D’Alessio, of Totowa, ran the operation with the help of a Costa Rica-based office, which bettors called to check or place bets.