A Brief Look at Crime 07/31 – 08/06

Woman arrested in May death of 80-year-old Las Vegas man

A 25-year-old woman has been arrested in the death of an 80-year-old man in the west Las Vegas Valley in May.The Metropolitan Police Department said [a suspect] was arrested Thursday on charges of murder, grand larceny auto theft and robbery with a deadly weapon. The victim was previously identified by the Clark County coroner’s office, and his death was classified as a homicide. Normand was found dead by family members inside his condo on May 8 after he failed to show up to work for two days, Metro said. They found Normand dead from unknown causes, police said. Police found video footage from the night before showing Normand and McKinley leaving a Las Vegas casino together. The coroner has not yet released Normand’s cause of death, but police Lt. Dan McGrath said he had been stabbed.

Silicon Valley man sentenced in gambling fraud case

A Santa Clara County man who pleaded no contest to embezzling more than $400,000 from his former high school classmates and gambling the money away in Las Vegas, Monte Carlo and Dubai was sentenced Monday to five years in county jail, prosecutors said. He persuaded his former classmates to allow him to invest their money in shares of Pinterest and Facebook, saying he could get them stakes in the companies before they were publicly available, prosecutors said. Instead of investing the money or using the funds for his business venture, Sagiraju allegedly spent about $424,000 on himself during “lavish blackjack trips to Las Vegas casinos,” prosecutors said. After one of Sagiraju’s victims reported the fraud to the district attorney’s office in November 2014, prosecutors opened an investigation. Sagiraju was arrested in Las Vegas during Super Bowl weekend in early February 2016, prosecutors said. Following his arrest, another business partner told prosecutors that Sagiraju had embezzled nearly $2 million.

Spalding man killed when he stepped in front of a passenger train at Quadring 

A man with gambling debts left notes apologizing for his actions before deliberately stepping into the path of a 75mph, 38-tonne diesel train at Quadring. [He] left “suicide and farewell” notes for family and friends inside his works van on Town Drove before using a foot crossing onto the railway line at about 4.45pm on March 8. South Lincolnshire’s senior coroner Paul Cooper said: “He told friends and family (in the notes) he intended to take his own life and that’s what he did.” East Midlands Ambulance Service paramedics declared life extinct at the scene. Train driver Allan Donald blew the single coach, passenger train’s horn “in a long, constant tone” after spotting Mr Taylor in his bright red coat. His train was one-and-a-half coach lengths away when Mr Taylor walked “deliberately forward” and stood sideways in its path, tensing himself until the impact. Emergency brakes didn’t stop the train until it was three-quarters of a mile down the track.

Wimbledon Tennis Match-Fixing Alerts Triggered by Gambling

Potential match-fixing alerts were triggered at Wimbledon in the second quarter of the year by gambling patterns. Alerts were also triggered for the French Open. The Tennis Integrity Unit said on Wednesday that one match at Roland Garros and three at Wimbledon, two of them in the qualifying tournament and one in the main draw, would be assessed and reviewed, reported Reuters. Alerts are raised in response to unusual betting patterns, which are not in themselves evidence of match-fixing and can be due to a number of other factors, including conditions and player fitness. The integrity unit said 40 of 53 alerts received were for matches played on the lower level men’s ATP Challenger and ITF Futures circuits. Three were on the men’s ATP Tour, one on the women’s WTA Tour and five on the ITF women’s circuit. During the April-June period, 31,281 professional matches were played. The cumulative six-month match alert figure was 83, compared to 121 received for the same period in 2016.

Man admits to using federal loans for gambling debts

NJ.com reports 58-year-old John Cheng, of New Brunswick, pleaded guilty to loan application fraud Wednesday. Cheng faces up to 30 years in prison. Prosecutors say Cheng applied for a $1.75 million federal Small Business Administration loan along with a $2 million commercial loan in order to finance a restaurant in December 2007. Officials say Cheng received more than $2 million in loans in March 2008. Authorities say Cheng spent the money on family members, a tax bill and gambling debts instead of construction for the restaurant. Cheng must pay $2.6 million in restitution.

Absolute Poker’s Scott Tom Accepts $300K Plea Deal

Scott Tom, former Absolute Poker president and Black Friday defendant, apparently has reached a plea deal with US prosecutors that will see him facing minimal jail time, if any at all. Tom stood accused by federal authorities of multiple felonies related to online gambling, and by the poker community of facilitating a major cheating scandal. According to documents reviewed by CalvinAyre.com journalists and revealed publicly earlier this week, on May 31, prosecutors accepted an agreement for Tom to plead guilty to a single misdemeanor charge of being an accessory after the fact in the transmission of gambling information, for which he will pay a $300,000 fine. As one of 11 infamous 11 Black Friday defendants, Tom faced multiple felony charges, including violation of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, conspiracy to violate the UIGEA, and operation of an illegal gambling business. The charges carried a potential sentence of up to 15 years in prison and $750,000 in fines.

For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION

Advertisements

Comments are disabled.

%d bloggers like this: