A mother-of-five was stabbed to death in front of some of her children following an argument with her gambling addicted husband. Parvez Akhtar plunged a combat style knife into his 49-year-old wife’s chest on the doorstep of her home after she had asked him to leave. In a statement Adeil Akhtar, aged 26, said his mother had the “the most beautiful soul” and was a very caring person. He said her death had left him and his siblings: “Broken, hurt, confused and empty” and that they were devastated. Akhtar, 46, who admitted a charge of murdering Shaeen Akhtar was jailed for life. She worked at home as a seamstress and was described as hard working and strong willed while her husband had developed both an addiction to gambling and drinking. On occasions Akhtar, after drinking, would become aggressive and “take it out” on his wife and he also stole from her to feed his gambling addiction. She had challenged him about his gambling and drinking and this had lead to tensions in the family. On the day before the killing Akhtar stole £200 from the victim, had gone out and did not return until around 3pm the following day, October 15. They had then argued with Mrs Akhtar asking him to leave and holding the front door open which he was trying to push shut. “He then quickly pulled out a knife from the right side of his trousers and stabbed Shaeen with it to the left side of her chest, “ said Mr Price.
An Oklahoma man is accused of faked his own kidnapping to collect ransom from his friends. Jonathon Michael Davis, of Owasso, was arrested on Thursday on charges of extortion, blackmail and false reporting of a crime after police found the alleged kidnapping victim, gambling in a Tulsa casino. The 34-year-old was reported missing yesterday after they began receiving text messages from someone claiming to be holding Davis captive, Tulsa World reports. His family, who said they hadn’t seen his since Tuesday, told police that the messages threatened to hurt Davis unless the money they were demanding was transferred into a PayPal account. Owasso police alerted the FBI and U.S. Marshals and within a few hours, by 1.30am, the Marshals had located Davis, who was unharmed, inside the River Spirit Casino in Tulsa, sitting and gambling alone. They also found the cellphone in his possession, which had sent the threatening messages. Officials believe that there never was any kidnapping and that Davis posed as his own abductor to extort money from his family and friends.
Women working at Resorts World Casino endure harassment and physical assaults from badly behaving bettors, grabby gamblers and violent male co-workers — and it’s all because of their employer’s let-it-ride attitude, court records charge. Bartender Tuwanna (Trish) Anderson said the violence and harassment is systemic at the popular Queens racino — and she has the injuries to prove it. She filed a lawsuit against co-worker Toman Davis and the casino’s owner, Genting Group, saying Davis choked her while on the job on July 4. The chilling assault was captured on surveillance video — and even reviewed by security directors — but no one came to the rescue, her lawsuit says. “I thought he was going to kill me,” Anderson, 48, told the Daily News. “I kept saying, ‘Don’t worry. (Security) is coming.’ Why didn’t they come?” Other women on the staff had previously complained about bartender Davis’ violence and unsafe conditions for female servers in general, but nothing changed, the lawsuit says. In fact, harassment seems to be the norm at the South Ozone Park gambling mecca, according to a Sept. 8, 2016, arbitration decision connected to Jisselle Pellot, who was fired after a woman who was a customer choked her during a dispute over a phone. Pellot and two other women, both servers, testified during the arbitration proceeding that customers routinely cursed and harassed them.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is searching for the third suspect in a deadly armed robbery at an internet cafe on the Southside. Police responded to Spin City Sweepstakes around 11:30 p.m and found two suspects shot — and one person who was grazed by a bullet. One suspect died at the scene and the other was taken to a Jacksonville hospital, where he died. The victims have been identified as 28-year-old Raheem Prather and 23-year-old Raymond Dixon. Police said their investigation revealed three armed men entered the business while a fourth person remained in the suspect vehicle. Investigators said an armed security guard working for the internet café fatally shot the suspect closest to him. The second suspect was shot while trying to run out of the business. An Action News Jax investigation in November revealed that more internet cafes are popping up again despite being banned several years ago. They often have what the state considers illegal slot machines. This includes fish games and “pre-reveal” games. In a lawsuit, the Seminole Tribe claims that internet cafes “knowingly permit unlawful gambling.”
Karen McCormack, 49, took money from South Glasgow Childcare Partnership Forum, known as South Glasgow Bookbug, on 65 different occasions during a 14-month period when she was in charge of the account. She was rumbled when another volunteer paid a cheque into the account and noticed discrepancies with a large number of payments having been withdrawn for events which had not happened. When confronted McCormack confessed: “I took the money.” At the time the charity was unsure if it would be able to continue past March this year,but has since secured funding. Procurator fiscal depute Deborah Carroll said: “The embezzlement had a significant impact on the finances of the charity. At the time of the reporting it was unclear whether the charity had the finances to continue.
Cristiani of Clark County, Indiana, thought he was helping veterans. His late father had been awarded two Purple Hearts, so when Cristiani received a call from the “Wounded Warrior Fund” asking for a donation to help Indiana vets, he felt it was his duty to give. And give again. Over two years, the 69-year-old donated more than $1,000. But the money never made it to veterans, and instead is believed to have fueled the lifestyle of suspected crooks. The Wounded Warrior Project is a legitimate multimillion-dollar nonprofit organization with nationwide recognition that helps wounded, ill and injured veterans. The Wounded Warrior Fund, on the other hand, was a complete scam, federal prosecutors say. After a three-year investigation by the US Secret Service and Clark County Sheriff’s Office, four people were indicted February 28 by a federal grand jury. The case was unsealed Friday. The Justice Department publicly announced the charges Friday morning. “The acts of these fraudsters have eroded the trust and good will of those who want to contribute to legitimate fundraising organizations, including those that support our veterans,” US Attorney Josh Minkler said in a statement on Friday. “Our American veterans have dutifully served this country through many wars and deserve better than to be deprived of donations from giving donors,” Minkler said. “No veterans’ families have benefited in any way in this case, that we could find,” Special Agent in Charge of the Secret Service Louisville Field Office Richard Ferretti tells CNN. “They’ve used it at casinos, they’ve used it for medical bills, they’ve written checks to each other in cash, so we can’t find a single dollar, so far, that’s gone to a veteran in this case.”
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION