A man accused of fatally shooting a teenager during an argument while gambling was arrested, Atlanta police confirmed. Andrew Dontavious Glass remained in the Fulton County jail Wednesday on murder, aggravated assault and armed robbery charges in the July 14 shooting in the 1200 block of Elizabeth Avenue in southwest Atlanta, police said. He was arrested Thursday. Authorities said they found the teen — identified by the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office as Stacey Monts, 17, of East Point —in the kitchen dead from a gunshot wound. A man was found in the living with a gunshot wound to the buttocks. A second man who was shot was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. Police have not released the identities of the injured man.
A fatal stabbing in Illinois on Thursday might have started as an argument over gambling — and more specifically, $20, police say. Ray James, 48, was arrested Friday and charged with first-degree murder after police say he stabbed and killed 24-year-old Cody L. Drew late Thursday in the city of Decatur, according to the Herald-Review. James stabbed Drew “multiple” times, police allege. After his death was announced, the restaurant that employed Drew sent out a Facebook status revealing that it “lost one of its servers last night to senseless violence.” “Cody Drew was an outstanding employee and remarkable young man. He lived an eventful life and squeezed every bit of enjoyment from each moment he lived,” it read. “I can still hear the joyous sound of his voice as he called out to the kitchen, ‘Yea, boy!’ Or ‘What’s gooood?.’” Police documents say that James had originally helped Drew as the 24-year-old played an electronic poker game, according to WANDTV. Drew won $150 after taking the advice, a witness told police, but he refused to give a portion of his winnings to James.
A top Nevada sports book operator is in hot water once again with regulators, and this time it will have to dismantle its systems used to facilitate wagers. According to a complaint and settlement posted last week to the Gaming Control Board’s website, CG Technology, formerly known as Cantor Gaming, has admitted to accepting online-based wagers from gamblers across the country, which was in violation of Nevada casino regulations. State officials said the company self-reported the betting activity. The result is a $250,000 fine, as well as the firm being ordered to cease using its own technology and equipment. CGT can remain in business, but it must now use a third party tech and equipment manufacturer. Within six months, “CGT shall permanently discontinue the use of its sports pool wagering system and all of its components,” the GCB said.
A Trappe man faces jail time and a hefty restitution bill after he admitted to defrauding an online gambling site and banks to the tune of more than $140,000 during a bad check scheme. Saurabh Sood, 38, of the 100 block of Royer Drive, was sentenced in Montgomery County Court to six to 23 months in the county jail after he pleaded guilty to felony charges of theft by deception false impression in connection with incidents that occurred in 2016. Judge Garrett D. Page also ordered Sood to complete three years’ probation following parole, meaning Sood will be under court supervision for about five years. Sood also must pay a total of $140,455 in restitution in connection with the case. The judge said Sood is eligible for the work release program during his incarceration. Investigators alleged Sood opened a checking account with a Berks County credit union in June 2016 and subsequently “started to write and pass checks against the account without making any deposits into the account to cover the amount of the checks that were written,” according to the criminal complaint. The account was closed in July 2016.
Two people are dead, and another is hospitalized, following a robbery and shooting at a possible illegal gambling operation in Detroit. It happened early Tuesday morning at a home on Andover Street off E. State Fair, between John R and I-75 just south of 8 Mile Road. One man, 30- to 35-years-old, was shot in the stomach and went into cardiac arrest. First responders attempted CPR but the man died on the scene. Another man, 55-years-old, was shot in the ankle and taken to the hospital. A third man who was not shot but was trying to escape the scene collapsed in a nearby yard. He was taken to the hospital where he was dead on arrival. It’s believed he suffered a heart attack.
Staten Island man who authorities said helped run a mob family’s racketeering and gambling operations is $125,000 in the hole after a federal judge ordered him to forfeit that amount of cash to the government. The forfeiture was part of Steven Pastore’s sentence, which also included two years in prison and two years’ supervised release, authorities said. In February, the defendant pleaded guilty in Manhattan federal court to racketeering conspiracy. Two years earlier, in May 2016, Pastore was among 18 suspects charged with racketeering activities allegedly carried out by the Genovese organized crime family. Pastore, a “made” member and soldier in the family, conspired with others from 2008 through the spring of 2016 to participate in the Genovese’s criminal affairs, said Manhattan federal prosecutors. Pastore was charged with racketeering conspiracy and participating in an illegal gambling business, authorities said. Prosecutors said wire taps showed Pastore had been in the gambling business for years.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION