A former worker with a gambling problem was sentenced to prison Friday for stealing $167,240 from a family-owned restaurant in Troutdale. Keeya Danielle Deshazo pleaded guilty in September to stealing the money from La Costita Restaurant over the course of at least a year beginning in 2015. The 41-year-old took cash that should have been deposited into their bank account and kept deposit slips as “IOUs” for the restaurant. During the sentencing, Judge Gregory Silver said, “Addiction can have terrible consequences and this is a good example of that.” Deshazo, who was sentenced to a 17-month prison sentence, surrendered $10,000 for La Costita and was ordered to repay the remaining $157,240. After the sentencing, Multnomah County Deputy DA Sam Leineweber said the amount of money she stole had an enormous impact on La Costita. “The restaurant will feel the impacts of this theft for years to come.”
A judge denied a post-conviction relief request earlier this month from a former College of Southern Idaho employee who embezzled more than $530,000 from the college. Dawn Marie Orr — a former CSI business office employee — pleaded guilty to five felony counts of grand theft. She was sentenced in July 2015 in Twin Falls County Fifth District Court to at least 10 years in prison, with the potential of serving up to 70 years. Orr was also ordered to pay $677,735.58 in restitution. Orr filed a petition for post-conviction relief in August 2017. In a judgment Jan. 10, Judge Benjamin Cluff dismissed the case. Orr “has not borne her burden in proving that she is entitled to post-conviction relief,” according to a memorandum decision. n a nearly full courtroom during her 2015 sentencing, Orr cried as she apologized to family members, friends and former coworkers. “I will never forgive myself for what I’ve done,” she told the crowd. During the sentencing, Stoker said it was the worst embezzlement case he has seen in his 40 years in Twin Falls. Stoker called the crime “outrageous” and an affront to the community. Orr — an assistant in the CSI business office for 17 years — admitted she had a gambling problem. She exchanged checks for cash from the safe and overstated third-party billings.
The casino faced some problems at the start of operations. Among them was an issue of underage gamblers getting onto the casino floor. This was blamed on the large numbers of people visiting the newly open casino.The design of the casino floor was another problem because the restaurant and shopping areas in the resort provide very easy access to the floor of the casino. Management has been looking at ways to curb this issue. With concerns about problem gambling in the local area and the state as a whole, some new policies have been established. All casino staff members are now trained to help them spot those who may be suffering from problem gambling. They now have the skills and knowledge about what they need to do in this situation.
Now there is another significant problem for the MGM Springfield. According to the local police, the casino is a magnet for crime. A report from the ABC television affiliate WCVB said that the area of the casino is seeing double the amount of crime in its initial four months than the other major casino in the state saw in an entire year. This other establishment is the Plainridge Park Casino, which is run by Penn National. According to figures from the Massachusetts State Police, there were 208 incidents and 120 arrests inside the MGM Springfield from September through December. That included 16 robberies and larcenies, 5 assaults, and 2 sexual offenses. There were 22 crimes in the area in the three months before opening. In the following five months, there were 115 crimes. In the entire year of 2018, there were 115 incidents at the Plainridge Park Casino. A report is expected in March about public safety in the area of the facility. Since Plainridge Park opened in June 2015, there has been no uptick in crime levels. This clearly cannot be said for the MGM Springfield. A lot of work needs to be done to curb this issue in the future.
A local man is recovering after suffering two gunshot wounds in an early morning incident. The Little Rock Police Department (LRPD) says Joe Galburth, 33, drove himself to the emergency room around midnight Tuesday. When officers interviewed the man at the hospital he told them he had been shot after an argument over money he had won playing blackjack. Galburth told police he had struggled with another man who had a gun in his waistband before running outside of The Platinum Rose. He said he then jumped into a car someone had left running with the keys inside and took off. At the hospital, officers took Galburth’s clothing and $1655 in cash as evidence, said the LRPD incident report. Detectives noted blood on the inside of the vehicle on the driver’s side and a bullet hole in the front passenger door of the car in which Galburth had escaped the scene. Police say he had felony warrants for his arrest that will be served when he is released from the hospital.
Both men alleged to have been involved in the death of 34-year-old Branson Tucker had preliminary hearings this morning. In the case against 59-year-old Kenneth Cobb, probable cause was determined and he will be bound over to Allen County Common Pleas Court. He is being held on one count of murder. During the hearing, Detective Todd Jennings said he learned Cobb and Jerome Fuqua were gambling with three other at 975 St. Johns Ave. Cobb told officials he was struck in the head before a skirmish unfolded. Jennings said the other witnesses believed it was just a disagreement from the gambling. “He told us that, he was down there with Branson and some other people,” Jennings said. “They were gambling. He was hit in the side of the head by someone, while he was down there. A fight broke out. Once the fight calmed down, he told us he took the gun from Branson and then went to shoot Branson in the leg.” Cobb is being held on a $1 million bond.
New Jersey gambling regulators have levied their first fine for underage internet gambling, assessing the company behind the playsugarhouse.com website $30,000 for allowing underage gamblers to place bets online for more than a year. The state Division of Gaming Enforcement said Wednesday that the activity happened between November 2016 and January 2018 due to a software defect that did not accurately record patrons’ birthdates. It has since been fixed. Thirteen people between the ages of 18 and 20 were able to create accounts and make online bets worth nearly $5,000. Gamblers must be at least 21 to make legal bets in New Jersey. The fine was issued Jan. 7 and made public Wednesday. It was the first for underage internet gambling issued by New Jersey regulators since online gambling began in the state in Nov. 2013, according to Kerry Langan, a spokeswoman for the gaming enforcement division. Rush Street Interactive NJ and the state agreed on the $30,000 penalty.
For more information on the dangers of gambling, please visit CASINO WATCH & CASINO WATCH FOUNDATION